12 April 2011

All About Huw

Huw is one of the main characters in "Two Lives", by Helen Naylor.
I don't know for sure what he looked like but I guess he probably looked like the young man in the picture on the right.
Click here and see what other readers have written about Huw's personality and background, his past and his future.
He was born in a Welsh mining village and lived there all his childhood but when he was in his teens he had to leave Britain and travel to Toronto, Canada, in search of a better life. When he was in Toronto he wrote some letters to his beloved Megan, the girl he had to leave in Wales, so far away. In the book, we can read the beginning of one of them:

My lovely Megan
I still haven’t received a letter from you. I can’t believe it takes four months for letters to cross the Atlantic. What’s happened? Is something wrong? …



Some 2nd year Basic Level students have used their imagination to find the missing words. I'm sure Huw's letters can't have been very different from these :


I've found a very nice house near the sea. It's very nice to live in Toronto and to know that you're fine at the same time! The only bad thing I have to tell you is that I haven't found a job yet. But don't worry, I've met a very important businessman who has promissed me to help me with that task.
The only thing I want to know is if you are all right. I only need that to live. I promiss I'll go to Britain as soon as I have some money to spend on the journey, but now you have to be patient. Please, Megan, wait for me!
Looking forward to your answer,
yours truly,
Huw

(By Adrián Rodríguez Ares)



My lovely Megan
I still haven’t received a letter from you. I can’t believe it takes four months for letters to cross the Atlantic. What’s happened? Is something wrong?…
I really need to see you again but I've started to think you have forgotten me. I hope you haven't because I´d be very sad.
What happened with the things that you and I talked about? I don´t know what to think…I´m confused.
I´m in this big city working to be able to return to you and then you and I will be able to get married. My father has given up drinking and I´m happy for him. He has met a woman and he´s very happy.
I don't know what else I can say except that I hope you write back.
I´ll always love you.
My best wishes,
Huw

(By Vanessa Peña)



This is very different from Tredoland but I think that you’d like it. Sometimes I go walking along the street and I imagine that you are here and I’ll find you after turning the corner or when I get into a shop. However, I soon realize that it won’t happen and that makes me feel sad. How I wish you were here! I remember every single day we spent together in Tredoland. They were the happiest days of my life. I wonder if I made the right decision.
Please, write to me,
Huw

(By Franciso González)


My lovely Megan
I still haven’t received a letter from you. I can’t believe it takes four months for letters to cross the Atlantic. What’s happened? Is something wrong?…Maybe your family?

I miss you every day. I always dream you are here with me.
This city is wonderful, you'll love it. I sold some pictures and my father is better. He met a woman whom he likes. This can be good for him. As I've earned some money here and I've saved some, you will be able to come with me, if you haven’t changed your mind about our plans for the future. Please, answer me soon because this is diving me crazy. I’m not sure if you keep loving me or you have forgotten me.

With all my best wishes,


Huw

(By María García Saceda)


I don't understand ... why don't you write to me? Every day I look at your face on the wall of my studio and I feel alone, I'm waiting fot your letter.

I love you so much !

(By Arantxa García Barrenechea)


Sometimes I wonder if you still love me like you did before.

I don't understand why you haven't replied yet.
Do you have any problems with you father?
Please, I need to know if you want to marry me.
Now I'm working hard and I think in three months I'll have the money for your ticket, but I must know if you want to leave Tredonald.
I'm anxiously awaiting news from you.
Love,
Huw

(By Aurelio Braz Viana)
 
Blogger Templates